The Story

When  Switzerland Tourism launched the Grand Tour of Switzerland together with the Swiss tourism regions in 2015, I was the director of the Fribourg Région. When we founded the association, it was clear to me that one day I would do the whole Grand Tour. 

I tackled this goal in the early summer of 2023. After a warm-up round in the French-speaking part of Switzerland, I was lucky enough to visit the most beautiful corners of Switzerland on my motorcycle for 16 days. In this blog I describe day by day the experiences made, the collected impressions and hope that you also get a taste for a part of the Grand Tour. With my motorcycle I rode all the kilometers of the Grand Tour, including the feeder roads in the west (Geneva - Marchairuz), north (Basel - Neuchâtel) and south (Chiasso - Lugano). 

Switzerland Tourism offers a Grand Tour App, which can be downloaded from the Store. With the app, all stages can be easily planned. Furthermore, there are NFT tokens at the photo spots, which can be collected with the app and stored in the album. When I started my Grand Tour, 62 NFTs were collectable. While I was on the road, Switzerland Tourism added 12 more NFTs. I adjusted my route without further ado and am now the proud owner of all 74 available NFTs in my album. 

Switzerland Tourism gives the length of the Grand Tour as 1,643km. If you want to drive the 3 feeder roads and visit all 74 sights, it is definitely more. I was in the summer of 2023 about 2,500km on and around the Grand Tour on the road. The Grand Tour requires good planning and preparation. All information is available on the Switzerland Tourism website. If I may give you a tip: take your time! The beauty of Switzerland will leave you speechless and it is nice to be able to linger at the photo spots. Another tip for bikers: be flexible! In Switzerland, some snow can fall on the passes even in summer. So it's good if you can take a day off in between. Sometimes it's also good to adjust your riding times to the weather conditions. Sun and rain alternate quickly, especially in the Alps. But there is always sun again when you have time. My Grand Tour was not meant to be a rally or a competition, but pure enjoyment. The tour has exceeded all my expectations by far! 










Popular posts from this blog

Day 14 : Neuchâtel - Basel (28/7/2023)

The Driver